A is for Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov, Tsarevich of Russia
Born on August 12, 1904 at Peterhof
Killed on July 17, 1918 at Yekaterinburg (aged 13)
- Known as: Alyosha, Lyoshka, Baby, Sunbeam
- Alexei was named after the father of Peter the Great, Tsar Alexis I
- He had inherited the genetic disease Hemophilia from his mother, and was aware me might not live to be an adult. Alexei was confined to a wheelchair for the last few weeks of his life due to an accident. Even a simple bump or cut could prove to be life threatening for Alexei due to his hemophilia.
- "He thoroughly enjoyed life—when it let him—and he was a happy, romping boy. He was very simple in his tastes and he entertained no false satisfaction because he was the Heir; there was nothing he thought less about." Pierre Gilliard (his tutor)
- "His sisters worshipped him. He was his parents’ pride and joy. When he was well, the palace was transformed. Everyone and everything in it seemed bathed in sunshine." Pierre Gilliard